Saturday, January 28, 2012

inspiration: more jewelry display ideas

Okay so I've shared jewelry storage and display ideas for rings, bracelets, and necklaces. But I haven't done anything for earrings yet. That's probably because I actually bought an earrings holder a long time ago so I never needed to make one. Mine is a rotating birdcage from Urban Outfitters (and I would actually recommend it if you have a large collection of earrings, because even though it's a bit pricey, it holds a lot and I stack bracelets on top of it too). I think the mint green one I have is sold out but they still carry it in other colours. 


Here's mine, surrounded by my little collection of porcelain birds, teacups and floral things.


A lot of other jewelry storage items on the Urban Outfitters site could easily be made or found though. I always see really pretty dishes, tiny boxes, or even crystal ashtrays at thrift stores that would make great jewelry holders.


For me, having these dishes are not primarily for display per se... they're actually little lifesavers placed in every room. I think I've mentioned before that I have a huge tendency to lose rings, especially in the bathroom when I take them off to wash my hands. Consequently, my friend Grace bought me a tiny dish for my bathroom so that I don't lose any important rings... (Actually, one particularly important ring is on that dish as we speak). Clearly, it's being put to good use.

 It's actually a dish intended for soya sauce, which goes to show that you can find jewelry dishes just about anywhere.


Anyway, back to earrings! The other day I was in a jewelry store and I was inspired by the way they displayed their earrings. The display was basically a white rectangular picture frame, but in the middle was a thick, black velvet material (like a giant pincushion). The earrings were simply hanging on pearl-tipped pins, stuck into the velvet cushion. I would've taken a picture of the display but the saleslady was staring at me passive-aggressively, so I backed away slowly and have resorted to poorly attempt a verbal description.

 Well, afterwards I went home, searched online, and found a similar idea by Restored Style using a picture frame. Instead of velvet though, they used screen door fabric. Check out the complete tutorial here!


Oh and on another random but related note, my ring box idea was featured on "Jewelry Display Ideas" a site for... well, the site name is pretty self-explanatory. Click here to see it! =)


Okay, I suppose I've blabbed on enough about jewelry for now. I'll leave you with a picture of this awesome necklace that I want to try and DIY someday.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...